The Timothy Hyde House, c. 1729, dear to the homeowners for its historic details, but long-lacking the family oriented spaces and living areas essential for today’s extended family lifestyle. Unwilling to compromise an ounce of character, this growing family longed for more practical amenities like a visitor’s private retreat with bedroom, living room and bath, garage parking, a proper master bedroom layout with full bath and walk-in closet, in addition to a new kitchen that would function as the heart of the home.
Ultimately the total square footage was doubled and the entire flow of the home was reworked keeping all of the character details intact. The kitchen is the hub, serving up its center island topped off with reclaimed white oak once belonging to a barn built in the 1880’s; jet mist leather granite tops off the remainder of the kitchen. Custom cable lighting was the ingenious solution for the complicated preservation of the original exposed beams and posts in the kitchen. The barn door was custom crafted from original timbers. Many cups of coffee will be enjoyed at the cozy, sun-filled dining nook overlooking the family room and new adjacent deck. The rear, separate entry mudroom with step-up laundry was a long awaited luxury over the previous basement facilities.
Moving upstairs, a centrally located bathroom was removed to create a wheelhouse style landing/passage hall, now home to a quiet workspace, featuring original wide plank floors and tailor-made sconces. Baths were added and upgraded including soapstone tops, marble, a glorious soaker tub in the generous master bath, all giving the home a taste of luxury. Bathing in sunlight rests the master suite starring the original beams, cathedral ceilings, and well-suited chandelier. Throughout the home strategically designed built-ins provide a plethora of storage and organization.
This 280 year-old Colonial shines on brighter than ever. We are proud to have been part of its long history.